Round 1 Applications

A section intended for new members to post their interest in playable countries
Jos1311
Site Admin
Netherlands

Round 1 Applications

Post by Jos1311 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:11 pm

GENERAL INFORMATION

Contrary to the bulk mail I have sent, we will be opening applications for all nations at this moment. Work on the new round is ongoing, and we will not see a round start before the end of this month, but as of now applications will be opened. Once we have received sufficient applications, we will be working on releasing a preliminary list, followed by the masking of all players for P5 nations. These players will be masked first to provide them with some more time to prepare their countries and related elements (such as Orbats). The bare minimum that needs to be posted in this application thread, by all players, is a list of countries they applied for, with the detailed application being PMed to Jos1311. However if you want to post your detailed application here, that is also allowed.

Picking a country
How to chose which nations are the best fit for a player is a difficult matter for most of us, and everyone has their own interests, criteria, and method of doing so. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when applying. Please carefully select the nations you would like to play, as it is important to continue to be interested to retain a high level of activity. For the upcoming application process a list has been created where all nations that can be played are mentioned, the list is mentioned below. You will need to make a selection of a maximum of 5 nations from that list when making your application. My first priority will be to get players for the P5 nations, those being United States, United Kingdom, France, Russia and China, as these nations are extremely important to game activity. For the United States I prefer a team application, as it simply is far too much to run this country by yourself.

Players assigned to P5 nations will be allowed to seek a second in command, but preferably these countries should be awarded through team-applications. I again like to stress that activity of these nations is vital to the game and therefore these nations should be involved in almost any discussion or debate on the board. Keep this in mind when applying, and if necessary seek a player that can fill in your "weak" spot.

At the same time people in general should be very aware of what type of countries they add to their list. A warmongering Germany for one is extremely unrealistic. If you want conflict you can look at including Libya, Iraq, KRG, Syria, or perhaps Nigeria on your list. Perhaps countries such as Mexico, Colombia, or Sudan can also be added to your conflict list. However this game is about diplomacy and war and/or conflict is an element of that, it is NOT the main pillar of diplomacy.

Please take note and understand the fact that nations have interests, not friends. We will be looking to more strictly start enforcing this, and that means people will thus have to research their countries better. You have the entire internet at your disposal, so use it. Syria kicking Russia out and turning towards the US is of course absolutely unrealistic, while Colombia is not very likely to do the same the other way around. No matter how good of a friend you are IRL with other players or how you dislike others, you will have to deal with them in a realistic manner IG.

Claims
Having written much about this already, the factor that keeps coming up in each part is the country you've selected. Your initial claim should be based on a country that interest you, that you know something about and that have your initial attention. Selecting Saudi Arabia because they spend a lot on their military is a really poor reason to make a claim because after you've spent $30bn on jets and ships you're going to be really bored and then you'll ask to switch. And country switching is something that we would like to keep to a minimum, as it is extremely disruptive for other players as well. Seek countries with which you can identify yourself, as those are often the ones you are willing to do some more work for.

When you think of which country to claim, look up the country on Wiki or in a book, you know those paper things, and read a bit about the politics and economy in that country. Does the fact that the country is bankrupt and is teetering on the brink of civil war put you off; you better ignore these countries, and look towards other options. When submitting a claim if you can't think of more to say than 'modernize the military and become a global player' then it's probably a good indication that not much thought has been put into your claim, as this game is not just about military matters. Be sure that you select countries that have your interest, as that will most likely guarantee a full round playing for this option.

NATION CHOICES

Here is the list of nations where you can pick you maximum of five (5) nations from. Note that only nations mentioned in the list are currently considered eligible for application. This is NOT an optional list, but the actual list of nations you can play. Any country added that is not on the list will be ignored. If you however are very interested in playing a non-listed country (or organization) contact me and try to convince me why to add it.
List of Nations wrote:Nation list:
Afghanistan
Algeria
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belarus
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chad
China
Colombia
Congo, DR
Denmark
Egypt
Ethiopia
Finland
France
Germany

Greece
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq

Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Kenya
Korea, North
Korea, South

Kurdish Regional Government
Lebanon
Libya
Malaysia
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Norway
Pakistan
Philippines
Poland
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
South Sudan
Spain
Sudan
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States
Venezuela
Vietnam
Yemen

* Countries in bold are explicitly being looked for, as these are considered important for overall game activity.
APPLICATION FORM

Take note of the above mentioned, as well as your level of experience in playing nation sims, and, very important, your own anticipated activity level. These factors combined with the quality of your application will ultimately affect what nation you will be granted. Please provide some information on these matters in your application, and keep in mind that you cannot apply for more than two P5 nations. I would like to add that the lesser countries you mention in your application, the bigger the risk is that you get nothing. However I also advise not to add nations just to fill it up, but do understand that less options could lead to the possibility that you get nothing and have to submit a new application. I further like to state that new regulation does no longer prevent a player to be a moderator and play a P5 nation, however it is still not advised due to time related issues.

I would like everyone to carefully consider their nation choices. I again stress to closely look at your style of playing and the type of nations that could be best played, select nations that have your interest and only than submit your application. For more information please look HERE as well, to get some more detailed information on applications.

General layout of an application:
APPLICATION wrote:Name applicant:: (Enter your Username here)

Which nation sim have you played before?

How did you find Nations? (Nations has not turned up often on Google results, but the moderators want to get an insight on how we can improve our methods to attract new players.)

If referred, who is responsible for the referral? (If you saw an advertisement posted on another forum, please let us know who posted it. If you returned because of an email from the board, please indicate such.)

How will your activity be over the next few months? (Generally speaking, we look for higher levels of activity from more important countries. Nations such as Ireland do not have requirements as high as, for example, America. These requirements are based upon experience and roughly reflect how much time the claim itself commands.)

List of nations you want to apply for::
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Germany
4. Japan
5. Belgium

Application::
Here you write a brief outline of your plans. this should be a brief outline and not a one sentence remark. We need to be sure that the right person gets the right nation, so convince us.
NOTE: The application procedure will be opened, once the announcement has been made. All applications will go here, and applications send through PM will be considered as NOT sent. If you want to be a part of the upcoming round, you will have to post in this thread, once it has officially been opened.

Vonar Roberts
Canada

Re: Round 1 Applications

Post by Vonar Roberts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:24 am

Name Applicant: Vonar Roberts & Vandy
Which nation sim have you played before? Many.

How did you find Nations? don't remember tbh

If referred, who is responsible for the referral? N/a

How will your activity be over the next few months? Daily

1: People's Republic of China
2: Germany
3: Democratic Republic of Congo
4: United States of America
5: Russian Federation

China is in a interesting time, President Xi Jinping has just become China's most powerful man securing his position in the party and pavign the way for a long dynasty with comparisons to the power that Mao wielded, and was named Time's most powerful person of 2018 followed closely by Vladimir Putin & Donald Trump. As President Xi I would continue market-reforms, and attempt to win the trade war with the United States. There are a number of ways to do this, but it boils down to one policy. Trade and continue the establishment of what can only be described as a mercantile empire. Tools such as the Belt and Road initiative, trade deals, as well as soft loans can all be used to enhance China's local and global power position. The Military needs considerable modernization, and much attention will be provided towards modernizing all branches of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), airforce, and navy.

note, Likely I will have a second player join me as a partner. Talking to a couple of candidates, but I do expect to be active daily.
Last edited by Vonar Roberts on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit
Germany

Post by Gambit » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:35 am

Name applicant:: Gambit, AKA ShackNastyJim, AKA Shackalackan, AKA Pimpdaddyfresh,

Which nation sim have you played before?: This one, and eregime

How did you find Nations? (Nations has not turned up often on Google results, but the moderators want to get an insight on how we can improve our methods to attract new players.) Eregime link from like forever ago now.

If referred, who is responsible for the referral? (If you saw an advertisement posted on another forum, please let us know who posted it. If you returned because of an email from the board, please indicate such.) Koning I think? IDK it was on eregime. K something

How will your activity be over the next few months? (Generally speaking, we look for higher levels of activity from more important countries. Nations such as Ireland do not have requirements as high as, for example, America. These requirements are based upon experience and roughly reflect how much time the claim itself commands.) I"m wanting and planning to at least have a daily interaction of some sort. I could probably do posts at work, my boss is cool with this shit.

1. Iran
2. The Sudan
3. Switzerland
4. Belgium
5. Israel

Iran: I want to try to "turn it around" in regards to economic sanctions and some of the more fringe elements of society. Try to quell any sense of rebellion. Work closely with my fellow Shia countries to work toward progress in economic, military, and social matters. Deal with the Kurdish and Israel question and attempt to at least have a make shift peace in place in Syria at some point. I also want to further domestic production of arms as recent sanctions and embargos show the only ones who can look out for Iran are Iranians.

The Sudan: I had a lot of fun in Africa as Angola a few rounds ago so why not turn it up to 11? Being ruled by a tinpot dictator, the Sudan has a lot of ways you can build it. Peace with the rebels in "south Sudan" obviously won't happen so we must go full throttle to bring them into line.With that we must align ourselves closely with our Muslim neighbors and regional powerhouses. We will have to weather a storm of sanctions, no doubt, but sweet victory will be worth it in the end.

Switzerland: This game on easy mode tbh. Try to develop new military tech to sell to the highest bidder and put absolutely none of it to use myself. Make banking laws even more lax to encourage more people using Switzerland as a monetary haven. Try to dismantle the EU in secret as a mountain german.

Belgium: Basically playing the EU. I do not see a lot of activity happening for the EU this round so playing one of the few active nations and helping shape the trajectory of an entire continent could be fun. We could restart the EU's plane development program and work towards joint, EU wide development of other military matters. Turn the EU into an actual superstate.

Israel: Deal with the "palastenians" whatever way possible. Continue Israel's unprecedented growth as a tech powerhouse, introduce green cities and turn Asdod-Ashkarat into a Dallas-Fort Worth (or A-Z) metropolis. Try to get a metropolis planned above the Galilee as well in order to cement Israel's claim over the Golan Heights.

BaronAzrael
India

Post by BaronAzrael » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:41 am

Name Applicant: BaronAzrael
Which nation sim have you played before? Most of them?

How did you find Nations? email sent out for last round brought me back

If referred, who is responsible for the referral? N/a

How will your activity be over the next few months? Daily

1: India
2: Vietnam
3: Saudi Arabia
4: Australia
5: Turkey

INDIA: continue encouraging the US reorientation to the Indo-Pacific, further develop the indigenous space industry, particularly with the US retreat from missions, and domestically deal with the major negative press due to women's rights. The main plank of my player policy will be countering China's expeditionary reach in carriers and foreign bases by working more closely with other claimants to the South China Sea.

VIETNAM: continue economic liberalisation, encourage ASEAN coordination on the South China Sea issue, and increase naval shipbuilding to counter China's civilian naval militia.

SAUDI ARABIA: continue using the GCC to further isolate Qatar as part of the proxy war on Iran, attempt to more quickly resolve the Yemen War, extricate ourselves from the failing Syrian Civil War, and focus on diversifying our economy.

AUSTRALIA: mostly just try to war the tightrope of balancing our economic relationship with China against our political relationships with the US and ASEAN.

TURKEY: stop the freefall economic implosion, reorientate to a more Russia-friendly stance, solidify our proxy position in Syria to increase our future negotiating potential, and prepare for a collapse in JDP political support by reaching out to other population sections.

Shadows
Japan

Post by Shadows » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 am

Name applicant:: Shadows

Which nation sim have you played before?

How did you find Nations?

If referred, who is responsible for the referral?

How will your activity be over the next few months? Same as always.

1. Japan
2. France
3. Germany

- Japan:
-- Economic: Continue Abenomics. A controlled devaluation of the Yen, combined with government investment. Heavy emphasis will be placed on supporting and growing the consumer electronics, computer technology, and automation industries once again. It is hoped that the ongoing trade war between the US and China will leave US corporations seeking cheaper electronics from other sources. With the devaluation of the Yen continuing, it is hoped that Japanese products will once again become competitive on the trade market, there by bringing in more revenues. Also, delaying the increase in the consumption tax, and re-evaluating the level of increase, is the first action. This will prevent it from having a negative impact on growth.
-- Domestic: New power generation is needed. With the shutdown of all nuclear reactors, Japanese power costs have increased due to increasing imports of oils and coal. Limited reactivation of the Nuclear power grid in areas where it will have the most impact (economic, as well as those areas with strong public support) will help offset this. At the same time, government investment into renewable energy sources will increase, with the stated goal of removing nuclear power from the equation entirely.
-- Military: Replace the old shit with new shit. Work on fielding F-35Bs from the Izumo-Class Destroyers. Work towards an eventual Light Carrier even if I never see it during the round.

Acer
United States of America

Post by Acer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 am

Name applicant:: Acer

Which nation sim have you played before?:: N/A

How did you find Nations?:: Email from Jos.

If referred, who is responsible for the referral?::

How will your activity be over the next few months?:: Check daily. Post either daily or every two days. Actions every 3 days.

1. Israel
2. Egypt
3. tbd
4. tbd
5. tbd

Application:: Coming soon.

Eryk
Libya

Post by Eryk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 am

Name applicant:: Eryk

Which nation sim have you played before? Many

How did you find Nations? (Nations has not turned up often on Google results, but the moderators want to get an insight on how we can improve our methods to attract new players.)

If referred, who is responsible for the referral? (If you saw an advertisement posted on another forum, please let us know who posted it. If you returned because of an email from the board, please indicate such.)

How will your activity be over the next few months? (Generally speaking, we look for higher levels of activity from more important countries. Nations such as Ireland do not have requirements as high as, for example, America. These requirements are based upon experience and roughly reflect how much time the claim itself commands.) High

1. Libya (Tobruk government/General Haftar)

Reintegrating the Gaddafi coalition into the political arena will be a priority. Substantial moves towards this have been undertaken by the House of Representatives government, which pardoned Saif al-Islam Gaddafi. Some sort of arrangement will have to be established with General Haftar. IRL elections are planned for later this year; this is obviously a pipe dream, as there are virtually no institutions that could conduct such elections, yet alone defined offices, powers, and competencies. There has also been no arrangement between Haftar and the HoR on the one hand, and the Tripoli-based government on the other. This means a likely resumption of combat once the ceasefire expires; I will seek to press home Haftar's advantage and occupation of most of Libya to end the civil war as soon as possible. This will present the opportunity to develop a new constitution and nation build, re-forming the country's institutions, jump starting the economy with stable flows of oil, and eventually holding elections that will continue reforms, institution building, and rebuilding Libya's position in Africa and the world. International engagement will be focused on balancing relationships and ensuring Libya's security vis-a-vis the two giants it borders (Egypt & Algeria), while maximizing investment and trade relations with the EU.

LordMoose
Saudi Arabia

Post by LordMoose » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Name applicant:: LordMoose

Which nation sim have you played before?: Tons

How did you find Nations?: Honestly I dont remember anymore, I think I got an email and decided to jumped down the rabbit hole

If referred, who is responsible for the referral?: dont know, refer to my past app

How will your activity be over the next few months? three or four checks per day

1. Indonesia
2. India
2. Congo DRC
2. Saudi Arabia

Application
1: This is mostly going to be a nation building round for me, I will be attempting to fix the issues currently facing Indonesia like food shortages, terrible schooling and poverty while attempting to keep growth high [above 6.25% for example] and the goverment deficit/debt low in comparison [less than 35-40% of GDP]. As well for a side project we will attempt to expand the influence of Indonesia in the region, possibly over East Timor, Malaysia, The Philippines and Brunei.

2: More or less the same when it comes to economic growth and nation building, but without the regional influence
Last edited by LordMoose on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iceviking
South Africa

Post by Iceviking » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Name Applicant : Iceviking

1. Vietnam
2. Myanmar
3. Philippines
4. Laos

1. Vietnam

I will play as close to real life as possible . I would keep China in check in the South China Sea. Increase trade around the world. Improve military and research design .

2. Myanmar

To keep the Royghina in control. Improve the nation. Clamp down on ethnic groups. Build trade and relations.

3. Philippines

Win the war on drugs and Seperatists in the South. Improve trade and relations and keep China in check.

4. Laos

Improve infrastructure, increase trade and relations. Clamp down on Hmong. Make the economy grow quickly.

Bobithy
Korea North

Post by Bobithy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Name Applicant : Bobithy

1. Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (yep, those who bet need to collect their money. It was 5$ I believe.)
2. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (My usual pro-western country)
3. Somalia (Throw myself on the mercy of the world and hope I get a government eventually or piracy: maybe both?)
4. Serbia (Remove Kebab)